Skip to main content

The City of Albany Code Enforcement Team investigates complaints of possible violations of the Albany Municipal Code or Albany Development Code that relate to dangerous buildings, fire and life safety, and nuisance conditions. Since 1999, the team has used the City codes to repair, clean up, or otherwise abate such buildings or problem properties.

Team members include representatives of the Police and Fire departments, Community Development (building and planning divisions), the City Attorney’s Office and the City Manager’s Office. The team meets monthly to review complaints, set priorities for investigating them, and to make progress reports. They compile formal reports for the City Council twice a year.

Code Enforcement currently has a $16,900 annual budget, which comes from property taxes. The budget includes money to pay occasionally for property clean-up; for title searches; and for prosecution of serious cases in Albany Municipal Court or Linn County Circuit Court. The budget does not include the time spent by Building Division investigators, police officers who assist in inspecting or documenting violations and serving citations, team members attending the monthly meetings, or preparation of reports.

These pages provide some information about the most common complaints that the Team receives, with the relevant sections of the Municipal and Development codes that apply. If you have a question about code enforcement, send This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call Team Administrator Marilyn Smith at (541) 917-7507.

Common Code Complaints

Boats, Campers, RVs, and Trailers

  • Must be stored off the street.
  • You cannot live in an RV except in an RV park.
  • Report violations to APD at 541-917-7680.


  • Dogs must be kept on leash when they are not otherwise contained by fencing or a kennel. Dog owners must clean up after their pets.
  • Dogs that bark cumulatively for more than 10 minutes during any one-hour period when such barking is audible off the premises of the dog's owner or keeper is considered a public nuisance. To report a barking dog nuisance, contact APD at 541-917-7680.

Grass and Vegetation

  • Vegetation on residential properties and vacant lots must not be more than 10 inches tall; encroach on neighboring property, sidewalks or streets; be poisonous to the touch; create a fire hazard; or block vision at intersections or driveways. Report vegetation violations online or by calling 541-791-0181; report vision clearance hazards to 541-917-7600.
  • Keep sidewalks clean and unobstructed.
  • You are also responsible for maintaining the planter strip between the sidewalk and the curb in front of your property.
  • Trees overhanging sidewalks should be trimmed 8 feet above the height of the sidewalk.
  • Trees overhanging streets should be trimmed 14 feet above the height of the street.


  • Trash containers should be placed at the curb no more than 24 hours before pick-up; store containers off the street.
  • Garage sales are limited to three times per year, per property, and for no more than three consecutive days.
  • Portable basketball hoops should be used in your driveway, not the street, blocking sidewalks, parking areas, or mailboxes.


  • Vehicles for sale, that are being repaired or don't run, or that are not licensed cannot be parked on the street.
  • Report violations to APD at 541-917-7680.